A city renowned for its art, culture and architecture, Bristol is the beautiful home of our SCD boutique. Whether you are visiting the city or a Bristolian looking to discover something new, here is our list of the 10 best things to do in Bristol in 2018:
1. Take a walk around the historic docks. Bristol’s very existence stems from its accessibility as a port, and so around the waterways of the city there is a plethora of sights and attractions – both new and old – to be taken in. Particular highlights to look out for are the S.S. Great Britain, the Underfall Yard and Whapping Wharf for a bite to eat.
2. Cross the Clifton Suspension Bridge on foot. An iconic landmark, this breath-taking historical construction is still a spectacle for the modern day.
3. Explore the shops of Clifton Village. The quaint arcades and independent boutiques host an array of hidden treasures. Here, you can find it all – from local fresh produce, though to jewellery boutiques and bespoke interior shops.
4. Go to a secret cocktail bar. Bristol is home to a number of speakeasy bars dotted around the city. Whatever your tipple, there is sure to be something to take your fancy.
5. Visit an art gallery. A city renowned for its art and culture, there are many galleries to choose from depending on your taste and preference. Alongside the established galleries such as the Arnolfini, there is a great selection of exhibition spaces and independent shops showcasing great talent. Spike Island and Centrespace are worth visiting.
6. Take a tour of Banksy’s street art. Bristol has a key part to play in the origin of graffiti in the UK, and is the birthplace of the internationally renowned and elusive Banksy. His early artworks feature throughout the city, and his work can also be found in the Bristol Museum & Art Gallery.
7. Climb to the top of Brandon Tower. With panoramic views over the city, this is a sight not to be missed. It is something of a trek to get to the top of the spiral staircase, but once at the summit, the scenery is beautiful.
8. Visit Bristol Zoo. One of the oldest zoos in the world, it is at the forefront of conservation and research. Throughout the year, it hosts seasonal events for those that wish to see the zoo in a different light.
9. Go to a festival. Throughout the city, there is a wealth of festivals hosted all year round. Celebrating art, music and all kinds of culture, there is an event for everyone – from the Harbour Festival, International Balloon Fiesta, and Upfest, through to Love Saves The Day.
10. Complete the Gromit Trail. Making a return to the streets for 2018 is Gromit Unleashed 2, where statues from Aardman Animation are dotted around the city throughout the summer. This is the perfect way to explore the city, and is fun for all the family, regardless of age.
Visit us in store at 43 Colston Street, Bristol, BS1 5AX